Monday, November 9, 2009

Vampires, werewolves and faries, oh my!


I have been a little preoccupied the last week or so with Charlainne Harris’ “Southern Vampire Mysteries” Holy cow…I thought that after the Twilight and Harry Potter series’ that I wouldn’t be able to find another set of books that would hold my attention! I am not sure what exactly got me to watch HBO’s True Blood but I did. I thought it was rather silly at first. My first and only idea of vampires was from Twilight. Edward could come out in the day, doesn’t sleep in a coffin, has sharp teeth but not retractable fangs, and lives in a “loving” family. So as I am watching True Blood I got a good laugh as Bill’s fangs come popping out…weird! A few friends of mine were reading the books and said they were good and that I should pick them up and read them. I do not know why I don’t trust book recommendations…I really should start. A few months later I picked up book 1 at the library. It was really similar to the show, or actually the show was really similar to the book. And unfortunately I do not have HBO so I am missing the second season! AHHH!! After reading that first book it took me awhile to get the 2nd, it was pretty good. The 3rd, good…the 4th holy crap good. I am an Eric Northman lover, oh man…do not get me started on Eric. He stars in a few dreams of mine…change of subject. The 5th book was alright but I was still dreaming of the 4th J The 6th book…same, the 7th same. The 8th same yet again. The 9th I dug entirely. I do not want to give anything away so if you aren’t there yet I apologize. The jury is still out on whether or not I wish the world has supernatural creatures in it. On the off chance that I would get to meet Mr. January then I would say yes, yes I would like to believe supernatural creatures exist. Then fear takes over…uhh…vampires are scary….werewolves, yep scary too. Fairies? Never thought of them as scary no…but yep now I do! Now I have to wait till May of NEXT year to see how the story continues. I have my theories but I will not bore you even more with my little vampire chit chat.

And isn’t it funny how you see a picture of someone. Then read a story with that person in mind as a character. But your mind changes the looks of the person that plays that particular character. Example: Eric in True Blood, not a bad looking man. I just looked up pictures of him and I was thinking, “That’s NOT what he looks like!!!” The Eric in my head looks similar to the Eric on True Blood but tweaked…hmmm. Same for Edward in Twilight. I didn’t read Twilight until it had already been out for a few years, and still after the movie previews had come out. I already had a picture in my head of what Edward was “supposed” to look like (Rob Pattenson). So as I read the books Edward looked like MY version of Rob. Anyways…what made me think of this is that I wanted to post a picture with this blog entry of Eric and when I googled pictures of him he just didn’t look “right”…catch my drift?! Wow…what a tangent.





Thanks to the Sookie books my house is an absolute mess! Dirty dishes, stacks of laundry to do, the dinner menu to make still, a blog that has been left alone, my fish on Facebook have died…you know…the important stuff! But I am thankful that my husband has picked up a bit around the house, made dinner this weekend and even vacuumed!

I am trying to find another series to read while I am very impatiently waiting for the next Sookie book…and I desperately need recommendations. I can not guarantee that I will trust them but I am working on that! I will give almost every book the first chapter test.

No comments:

Post a Comment